Almond halwa, also known as badam halwa, is a rich and creamy Indian dessert made with ground almonds, ghee, and sugar. This indulgent sweet dish is a popular treat during special occasions and festivals. The nutty flavor and smooth texture of this halwa make it a delight for anyone with a sweet tooth.
Recipe: Badaam/Almond Halwa
- 1 cup almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A few strands of saffron (optional)
- Slivered almonds and pistachios for garnish
- Grind the almonds to a fine powder in a food processor or blender.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the ground almonds to the pan and cook, stirring continuously, for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture turns light brown.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir until it is dissolved.
- Add the milk and stir well to combine.
- Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, for about 15-20 minutes or until it thickens and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add the cardamom powder and saffron to the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the halwa cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish the halwa with slivered almonds and pistachios before serving.
Almond halwa is a rich and decadent dessert that is sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. This recipe is simple to make and requires just a few ingredients, making it a great option for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself to something indulgent. The combination of ground almonds, ghee, and sugar creates a creamy and nutty flavor that is sure to please your taste buds. Try making this delicious almond halwa for your next dinner party or family gathering and watch as everyone savors each bite.