This wonderful heat cake recipe with chocolate was uploaded to the original Creative Saga website by the original owner of the website, Somya.
In the words of Somya:
“Yes it was our wedding anniversary last week. This time I planned the cake a little in advance and got the things on time and decided the recipe. Thats most unlike me because I do most of my cooking or baking at the last minute. I realise that I have run out of sugar or flour when I have almost started with the preperations. I wish I am more organised in this aspect.
Okay now to the recipe, I finalised on the simple fatless chocolate sponge recipe from Tarla dalal’s the joys of vegetarian cooking .I had my own silly doubts and fear regarding the recipe as I had never tried this kind of sponge and also the recipe did not demand butter and baking powder. But I followed all the steps very carefully and got the perfect sponge. Infact,the second one was even more spongy and better than the first one.So practice does makes you perfect!!
I really loved the recipe and I am sure I am going to make this as my base for many more cakes.
We really loved the cake!!The strawberry filling was delicious and the almonds flakes lended a nice taste to the cake. I am sure you can be even more creative and decorate your cake in your own way!”
Enjoy the recipe!
For the fatless chocolate sponge
- 85 g Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 85 to 110 g sugar Powdered – (I used around 95g)
- syrup Soaking
- 1/3 cup sugar Powdered
- 1/3 cup water Warm
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- / Chocolate ganachecream
- 200 ml Heavy cream – (can use low fat also)
- 200 g Dark chocolate
- Strawberry filling
- 6 numbers Strawberry (fresh)
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- Almond flakes- 1tbsp to place on the sides of the cake(optional)
- Strawberries -2 to decorate on the top(optional)
For the fatless chcocolate sponge
- Sieve the flour. Combine the flour and cocoa powder. Line the base of a heart shaped tin with a parchment paper. Beat the eggs and sugar very well with a hand blender until thick and double in quantity. Fold in the flour mixture carefully and mix very gently with a metal spoon or a spatula. Take care the air does not escape and the quantity should not reduce. Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 20 minutes.The cake is ready when it springy to touch and leaves the sides of the tin. Insert a knife in the center to ensure whether the cake is done. Cool the cake well and turn on wire rack. Allow it to cool.
- I made 2 sponges with the same recipe.
- Chocolate ganache – Pour the cream in a saucepan and allow it to boil. Keep the chocolate ready by chopping them into small pieces. Pour the boiling cream into the chocolate and stir till the chocolate melts and combines well with the cream. Allow it to stand for 10 minutes. Then stir it using a whisk till it thickens. Refrigerate for a couple of hours so that it thickens and makes easier to frost.Its best to make it one day before and store in refrigerator till use.
- You can beat the ganache with a hand blender to make it more fluffy for frosting. I did not do this and used it directly.
- Soaking syrup- Dissolve the sugar in warm water and mix in the essence. Keep it refrigerated until use.
- Strawberry filling- Chop the strawberries. Put them in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar with few drops of water. Allow it to cook for around 10 minutes till it resembles a strawberry jam.
- Assembing the cake-
- When the cake is cooled well, poke holes on them with a fork or skewer.
- Pour the soaking syrup on the cake you are placing at the base.
- Apply some chocolate ganache on the cake.
- Then spread the strawberry filling all over it.
- Place the other layer on this. Pour rest of the sugar syrup on the top cake.
- After 10 minutes, apply the ganache all over the cake.
- Place the cake on refrigerator for atleast an hour till the frosting sets. Then stick the almond flakes to the sides of the cake. Chop the strawberries to heart shaped pieces. Place on the cake as you wish. Refrigerate the cake till use.