Dahi Vada, also known as Dahi Bhalla, is a popular Indian snack that is especially loved during summers. It consists of deep-fried lentil dumplings that are soaked in creamy yogurt, and then garnished with a variety of spices, chutneys, and sev (crunchy noodles made from gram flour). This dish is enjoyed across India, with regional variations in its preparation and presentation. Dahi Vada is not only delicious but also a healthy snack, as lentils are an excellent source of protein and dietary fiber.
- 1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/4 cup moong dal (split green gram lentils)
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Oil, for frying
- 2 cups yogurt, whisked
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Tamarind chutney, for serving
- Green chutney, for serving
- Roasted cumin powder, for garnishing
- Red chili powder, for garnishing
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Soak urad dal and moong dal together in water for at least 4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the dals into a smooth paste. Use minimal water while grinding.
- Add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder to the paste and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Take a small portion of the batter in your hand and flatten it into a small disc. Slide it gently into the hot oil.
- Fry the vadas until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove them from the oil and place them on a kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Once the vadas have cooled down, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes. Press them gently to remove the water and keep them aside.
- Whisk yogurt, sugar, and salt in a bowl until it is smooth.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the vadas and place them on a serving plate.
- Pour the whisked yogurt over the vadas, making sure they are completely covered.
- Garnish with tamarind chutney, green chutney, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve chilled.
Dahi Vada is a classic Indian dish that is loved by everyone. Its creamy, tangy, and spicy flavor is perfect for a hot summer day. While it may seem like a complicated dish to make, it is actually quite easy and can be made with simple ingredients available in your kitchen. This dish is perfect for a snack, appetizer, or even as a light meal. So the next time you want to impress your family or guests, give this Dahi Vada recipe a try and enjoy the mouth-watering flavors of this classic Indian snack.