Dal Paratha is a delicious and easy-to-make Indian bread made with a mixture of lentils and spices. It is a popular breakfast or brunch dish that is enjoyed with yogurt, chutney or pickle. The lentil mixture is first cooked and then kneaded into the dough to make soft and flavorful parathas. This recipe is a great way to use up any leftover cooked dal and is perfect for a quick and nutritious meal.
- 1 cup leftover cooked dal (any lentil will work)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
- Oil or ghee for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, combine the leftover cooked dal with the whole wheat flour, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder (if using) and salt to taste.
- Knead the mixture into a soft and pliable dough, adding water as needed. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized balls and roll each ball into a small circle.
- Heat a griddle or a non-stick pan on medium heat. Place the rolled out dough on the griddle and cook for a minute or until small bubbles appear on the surface.
- Flip the paratha and brush it with oil or ghee. Cook until golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- Serve hot with yogurt, chutney or pickle.
Dal Paratha is a simple and flavorful Indian bread that can be easily made with leftover dal. This recipe is a great way to use up any leftovers and create a delicious and nutritious meal. The lentil and spice mixture adds a unique flavor and texture to the parathas, making them a perfect breakfast or brunch option. Serve them hot with some yogurt, chutney or pickle for a complete and satisfying meal.