Flaked rice with milk is a traditional Indian dessert that’s both easy to make and delicious to eat. Also known as Poha Kheer or Aval Payasam, this dish is made by cooking flaked rice in milk and sugar until it becomes thick and creamy. Flaked rice, also known as poha or aval, is a popular ingredient in Indian cuisine and is often used to make savory dishes like upma or poha, but it’s also a great base for desserts like this one. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of time, you can create a satisfying and flavorful dessert that’s sure to please.
- 1 cup flaked rice (poha or aval)
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (such as almonds, cashews, or pistachios)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron (optional)
- Rinse the flaked rice in water and soak it for 10-15 minutes.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, bring the milk to a boil on medium heat.
- Drain the water from the flaked rice and add it to the milk. Cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the flaked rice is soft and the milk has thickened.
- Add sugar and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture has thickened further.
- Add cardamom powder and saffron (if using) and stir well.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and serve warm or chilled.
Flaked rice with milk, or Poha Kheer, is a wonderful dessert that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With just a few simple ingredients and a bit of patience, you can create a delicious and satisfying dish that’s sure to impress. This dessert is popular throughout India and is enjoyed by people of all ages. So why not try making it yourself and see just how tasty it can be?