Navrathna Pulao is a fragrant and flavorful Mughlai rice dish that is made with a variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and aromatic spices. The dish gets its name from the nine different ingredients that are used to make it, which symbolize the nine jewels or navaratnas of the Mughal emperor Akbar’s court. This dish is a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors, with each ingredient contributing its unique taste and texture to the final dish. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just want to enjoy a delicious and hearty meal, Navrathna Pulao is a perfect choice.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, cauliflower, potatoes)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/2 cup paneer, cubed
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- Rinse the rice thoroughly with water and soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds, bay leaves, green cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon stick and sauté for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Add the mixed vegetables, cashews, raisins, pineapple, paneer, and chickpeas and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, and salt and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pot. Sauté for a few minutes until the rice is well coated with the masala.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the rice cook for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer it to a serving dish.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Navrathna Pulao is a delicious and fragrant Mughlai rice dish that is perfect for special occasions. This dish is a perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors, with each ingredient contributing its unique taste and texture to the final dish. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or just want to enjoy a delicious and hearty meal, Navrathna Pulao is a perfect choice. So why not give this recipe a try and enjoy the fragrant and flavorful taste of Navrathna Pulao today!