Sabudana Khichdi (also known as Javvarisi Upma) is a popular fasting food in India, especially during Navratri, where grains and lentils are avoided. It is a simple and quick recipe made with tapioca pearls, peanuts, and potatoes, with a dash of lemon juice for added tanginess. The soft, chewy texture of the sabudana pearls combined with the crunchy peanuts and the mild flavors of spices make this dish a favorite among many. This dish is not only delicious but also highly nutritious and is considered an energy-rich food, perfect for a quick breakfast or a snack.
- 1 cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or as per taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
- Rinse the sabudana in water until the water runs clear. Soak it in 1 1/2 cups of water for 3-4 hours or overnight until it becomes soft and fluffy.
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the diced potatoes, green chilies, and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Add the soaked sabudana to the pan and mix well with the potato mixture. Add salt to taste and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes until the sabudana becomes translucent and the peanuts become slightly crunchy.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice. Mix well and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve hot as a breakfast dish or a snack.
Sabudana Khichdi is a simple and delicious recipe that can be made quickly with minimal ingredients. It is a staple food during fasting periods in India, but can be enjoyed any time of the year as a healthy breakfast or snack. With the goodness of tapioca pearls, peanuts, and potatoes, it is a perfect energy-rich food that keeps you full for longer. Try making this recipe at home and savor the unique flavors of this classic dish!