Kachoris are a popular North Indian snack that is enjoyed by people of all ages. These delicious, deep-fried snacks are made from a flaky crust filled with a savory filling. One of the most popular varieties of kachori is Urad Dal Kachori. Urad Dal is a type of lentil that is commonly used in Indian cuisine. It is rich in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients. Urad Dal Kachori is a perfect snack for any occasion, whether it’s a casual evening at home or a grand party. This dish is easy to make and can be enjoyed by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. In this recipe, we will show you how to make Urad Dal Kachori step-by-step.
Urad Dal Kachori Recipe (750 words)
Ingredients: For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/2 cup ghee or oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
For the filling:
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- To make the dough, combine the flour, salt, and ghee/oil in a bowl. Mix well until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add water slowly to the mixture, kneading continuously to form a soft dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Soak the urad dal in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain the water from the urad dal and grind it in a food processor to form a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ginger and green chili. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the ground urad dal and all the spices to the pan. Mix well and cook for 5-7 minutes until the mixture is dry.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool down.
- Preheat the oil for frying in a deep pan on medium heat.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll each ball into a small circle.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of the circle.
- Gently fold the edges of the circle over the filling, pinching them together to seal the kachori.
- Repeat the process for all the dough balls.
- Carefully place the kachoris in the hot oil and fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Serve hot with tamarind chutney or mint chutney.
Urad Dal Kachori is a delicious snack that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. The combination of the crispy crust and the savory filling makes this dish irresistible. Making kachoris at home may seem daunting, but it’s actually quite easy. With a little practice, you can master the art of making kachoris. This Urad Dal Kachori recipe is a great way to start. So, the next time you want to impress your family and friends with a tasty snack, try making Urad Dal Kachori at home. They are sure to love it!