Leek is a versatile and flavorful vegetable that is a staple in many vegetarian dishes. It has a mild, sweet taste that makes it a great addition to soups, stews, and casseroles. In this recipe, we’ll be using leeks to create a delicious and satisfying dish that is perfect for a cozy night in.
Here is a recipe for a vegetarian leek and potato gratin:
- 2 large leeks
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 cup of grated Gruyère cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Clean and thinly slice the leeks, discarding the tough green parts.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes.
- Mince the garlic.
- In a large saucepan, heat the cream, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper over medium heat.
- Once the cream is heated through, remove the saucepan from heat and set aside.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer the sliced leeks over the potatoes.
- Pour half of the cream mixture over the leeks.
- Repeat the layering with the remaining potatoes and cream mixture.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is golden brown.
- Let the gratin cool for a few minutes before serving.
This leek and potato gratin is a comforting and delicious dish that is sure to impress. The combination of creamy and savory flavors, combined with the tender and crispy top, make this gratin a crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for a group, this dish is a great option for those who are looking for a tasty and satisfying vegetarian meal.