Sago, also known as Sabudana in Hindi, is a popular ingredient used in Indian cuisine to make a variety of dishes. One such dish is Sabudana Kheer, a sweet and creamy dessert made with sago pearls, milk, sugar, and flavored with cardamom and saffron. It is often served during festivals and special occasions, and is loved by people of all ages. This easy and delicious dessert can be prepared in just a few simple steps, making it perfect for beginners and those short on time.
- 1 cup sago pearls (sabudana)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- a pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds and pistachios
- Soak the sago pearls in water for 3-4 hours or overnight until they become soft and translucent.
- Drain the excess water and set the sago aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the milk thickens slightly.
- Add the soaked sago pearls to the milk and stir well.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the sago pearls are soft and translucent.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add saffron and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and let the kheer cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, transfer the kheer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Sabudana Kheer is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that is perfect for special occasions or festivals. With just a few ingredients and simple steps, you can create a creamy and sweet dessert that is loved by all. The combination of sago pearls, milk, and sugar is a classic one that is elevated with the addition of cardamom and saffron, giving it a rich and flavorful taste. The garnish of chopped almonds and pistachios adds a crunchy texture and a pop of color to this beautiful dessert. Give this recipe a try and indulge in the sweetness of Sabudana Kheer!