Butter beans, also known as Lima beans, are a nutritious and tasty legume that is often used in a variety of vegetarian dishes. They have a creamy texture and a mild, nutty flavor that makes them a great ingredient for soups, stews, and curries. In this recipe, we’ll be using butter beans to create a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cozy night in.
Here is a recipe for a vegetarian butter bean stew:
- 1 pound dried butter beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and soak the dried butter beans overnight. Drain and rinse them before using.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery to the saucepan and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the drained butter beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, thyme, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan.
- Let the stew simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender and the flavors have developed.
- Serve the stew hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
This butter bean stew is a delicious and filling dish that is perfect for those who are looking for a healthy and satisfying vegetarian meal. The combination of creamy beans, tender vegetables, and savory spices make this stew a perfect comfort food for any occasion. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for a group, this dish is sure to impress and will leave everyone feeling satisfied.