Banana bread is a classic comfort food that’s easy to make and perfect for using up ripe bananas. However, traditional banana bread recipes can be high in sugar and refined flour, making it not the healthiest option. Fortunately, it’s easy to make a healthier version of banana bread by swapping out refined flour for whole wheat flour and using unrefined sugar. This healthy banana bread recipe is moist, delicious, and packed with wholesome ingredients that you can feel good about eating.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the unrefined sugar, mashed bananas, eggs, unsweetened applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve the healthy banana bread as desired.
This healthy banana bread recipe is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a classic comfort food while also taking care of your health. By using whole wheat flour and unrefined sugar, you can feel good about indulging in a slice of this moist and flavorful bread. Try serving it for breakfast, as a snack, or even as a healthy dessert option.