Indori poha is a popular breakfast dish from the city of Indore in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is a simple yet flavorful dish made with flattened rice flakes (poha) and a variety of spices and vegetables. The dish is usually served with a side of jalebi, a sweet crispy dessert. Indori poha is easy to make and can be customized to suit individual preferences. It is also a healthy breakfast option that is perfect for a quick and filling start to the day.
- 2 cups poha (flattened rice flakes)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of sugar
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Rinse the poha in a colander under running water for a minute or until the water runs clear. Allow the poha to soak in water for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the poha is soft, drain the water and set the poha aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add chopped onion and green chillies and sauté until the onion turns translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, and sugar to the pan and mix well.
- Add the soaked poha to the pan and mix gently.
- Add roasted peanuts and coriander leaves to the poha and mix again.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the poha and serve hot with a side of jalebi.
Indori poha is a delicious and healthy breakfast option that is easy to make and customizable to individual preferences. This dish is a staple breakfast in Indore and has gained popularity all over India. The addition of peanuts and lemon juice adds a unique flavor to the dish and enhances its nutritional value. You can also add other vegetables like potatoes or peas to the poha to make it more filling. Overall, Indori poha is a must-try dish that is perfect for a quick and satisfying breakfast.